主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:15:42 | 显示全部楼层
BY  PELE——PLAYER(球员)

In the first half of 1957 I was getting regular games and was scoring a few goals. I was well-known, however, only at a local level. It was only in June that I really got the chance to announce myself to the rest of the country. There was to be a tournament in Rio de Janeiro between four European clubs and four Brazilian clubs. One of the Brazilian sides was to be made up of players from both Santos and Rio’s Vasco da Gama. I was picked to play centre-forward in the team.

The trip was the first time I had been to Rio, which is a 300-mile drive up the coast from Santos. I didn’t really know what to expect. I knew the city was Brazil’s capital, and was a bit bigger than Santos. I wasn’t a tourist, however, and our coach took us straight to São Januário, the Vasco stadium, where we slept in dorms and trained during the day.

It was also the first opportunity I had to play in the Maracanã. I knew all about the Maracanã from the 1950 World Cup. It was built for the competition and was still the largest stadium in the world. We had one training session there and I when I saw it, it really felt like a dream. I thought, ‘Something of this size is out of this world!’ The place was absolutely enormous. When I walked on to the pitch for the first time I realised that the pitch was pretty big too. It made the Vila Belmiro look minuscule. I was completely taken aback with it. When we were training sometimes I just stared and stared at the stands.

Even though I played at Santos all my career in Brazil, the Maracanã has a very special place in my heart. I know that it was the scene of the tragic defeat in 1950, but for me I played many of my most important games there (more about those later). The first game, for the Santos/Vasco all-stars against Belenenses of Portugal, was possibly a sign of how lucky the Maracanã would be for me. The stadium was full, there were firecrackers as we ran on to the pitch. The atmosphere was fantastic. And I got a hat-trick. For the first goal I received the ball surrounded by three defenders in the box, and whacked it into the net. For the second I dribbled past the defence and tapped it over the diving keeper. And the last was a thunderbolt from outside the box. Three very different goals, and I think I showed everyone there what I was capable of.

We played two more games in that tournament, against Flamengo and São Paulo, and I made the scoresheet in both. I must have impressed, since immediately afterwards I got a call-up for the national team. The game was the first leg of the following month’s Copa Roca, a traditional challenge against Argentina. I was still just 16. Again, the match was at the Maracanã, against Argentina. I came on in the second half (again, for my club colleague Del Vecchio), wearing the number 13 shirt. Brazil were 1–0 down, and a few moments later I scored. Argentina won that game 2–1, and so it was all to play for in the second leg.

The match was at the Pacaembu in São Paulo and, for the first time, I was included in the starting line-up. I played well from the start and after 18 minutes ran into the box and opened the scoring. Mazzola scored the second, the game finished 2–0, meaning that Brazil had won the Copa Roca. It was my first international title; I did not realise it would be the first of many …

© Simon & Schuster, co-published by Gloria, from "Pelé", 2006

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:29 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:16:46 | 显示全部楼层
BY  PELE——WORLD CUP 70(70年世界杯)

The side that would go on to be called the ‘beautiful team’, the best that ever played the game, was through to the World Cup Final, the fourth time Brazil had reached the summit of the world’s greatest tournament. Our opponents would be Italy, twice World Cup winners.

Over 100,000 were actually inside the Azteca Stadium on that sweltering June day. Our first goal came after only 18 minutes, with Rivelino crossing into the box where I was waiting. I timed my jump to perfection and headed past the outstretched hands of their goalkeeper, Enrico Albertosi. Gerson and Carlos Alberto both had a lot of space, and we created problems throughout, with the Italians seemingly content to hang back and thwart our efforts. After 37 minutes, though, it looked like their tactics might have been right after all – we had had all the play, but when Clodoaldo foolishly back-heeled into empty space it was snapped up by Boninsegna, who passed the desperate Félix and scored. Italy had poached an equaliser – could it be that catenaccio and counter-attack would win the day?

But in the second half we reasserted our control, as Italy failed to press home any psychological advantage they may have had. Gérson made the most of the space afforded him and scored with a long, low shot from outside the box after 66 minutes; Jairzinho added another five minutes later, becoming the first person ever to score in every round of the World Cup Finals in the process. The final verdict on who would win this contest between attack and defence was delivered four minutes from time, with one of the most glorious plays of the tournament and one that I was proud and privileged to be a part of – flowing, forward movement, flexible but remorseless, Jairzinho to Pelé, a stabbed pass over to the right to Carlos Alberto, steaming down the right wing like a man possessed, finding the ball arriving at his flying feet in a perfect intersection and driving it past Albertosi like a thunderbolt.

Moments later the whistle blew. We had won, 4–1. Pandemonium. People ran on to the pitch from all over, and in seconds our shirts and even our shorts had been whisked off by souvenir-hunters – I made sure to take my shirt off myself so that my head didn’t go with it. I was hoisted aloft on a sea of fans and it was several minutes before we were able to go to the dressing-rooms to collect ourselves. I managed to find a quiet moment in the shower to give thanks to God and my family for helping me achieve this great victory. While I was in there I was disturbed by a journalist who had managed to get in to the dressing-rooms – I knew him, he was one of the writers who’d been spreading rumours about my eyesight. He knelt down in front of me, getting himself soaking wet, and begged forgiveness for what he’d written. I remember telling him that only God could forgive, and I wasn’t God.

We then went back on to the pitch to collect the Jules Rimet trophy from the President of Mexico – as this was the third time we had won it, it had been decided it would now be ours to keep. The intensity of emotion as Carlos Alberto lifted the trophy above his head, tears of joy in his eyes, was like nothing I had ever known, except perhaps watching Bellini do the same thing in 1958. But this time I had a proper understanding of what it meant, what it would mean to all the people back home. And I had played in every game, come through unscathed, and felt as though I had made a great contribution to our victory – this win was unalloyed pleasure. It would be my last World Cup – but what a way to finish!

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:30 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:18:23 | 显示全部楼层
BY  PELE——STATESMAN(政治家)

On 27 September 1977 the United Nations gave me a certificate declaring that I was now ‘A Citizen of the World’. I was very moved by the honour, which came at a time when I was looking ahead to what I would do after football. My retirement was imminent, and although I had various business and sponsorship commitments I knew I wanted to do something more than just lend my name to the highest bidder for the rest of my life. It sounds grandiloquent to say that becoming a ‘citizen of the world’ helped focus my thoughts – after all, everyone on the planet is a citizen of the world in their own right – but it was a humbling reminder that I had come to occupy a different place in people’s attentions and affections. In kicking a ball around a pitch, and scoring some goals, I had somehow come to embody a little of what so many millions of people around the world loved about football, this beautiful game. I had been lucky to be blessed by God with a talent for it, and lucky to have loving and supportive parents, and lucky to have played alongside and against some of the best players in the world, who helped me hone my skills. Football had been my job for over 20 years, and now it was time to use the fame it had given me in a positive way.

Football’s world governing body, FIFA, was an obvious organisation to become more involved with, not least because I knew its President, João Havelange, well and had helped in his campaign to become elected. I was invited to join FIFA’s Fair Play board, a cause that has always been close to my heart. I had applauded the introduction of the red and yellow card system at the 1970 World Cup, and saw my work for FIFA as a way of encouraging higher standards of refereeing and stronger punishments for players who went out to hurt their opponents rather than just trying to relieve them of the ball.

As well as the Fair Play work I also came to perform a more general, almost ambassadorial role for FIFA, which took me all over the world as a figurehead for football and which I grew to enjoy very much. Following the UN honour described above I also became a ‘Goodwill Ambassador’ for UNICEF, the United Nations’ Children’s Fund, which was established in 1946 to help children who were suffering from hunger or disease. Since then it has become a permanent part of the UN’s Charter, working to protect the basic rights of children to things like education and healthcare. I took part in fund-raising events for this cause and I’m proud that to this day I’m still involved with the organisation’s work. Much later, in November 2001, I was able to combine these two interests by appearing at the launch of a partnership between FIFA and UNICEF to dedicate the 2002 World Cup to the children of the world. I was proud to take part – I was a child too, once, and a country that has no children has no future.

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:31 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:21:14 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——1940‘s

At 3am on 23rd October 1940, a boy is born in the town of Três Corações, in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. The child’s parents, João Ramos do Nascimento (nicknamed “Dondinho”) and Dona Celeste Arantes do Nascimento, christen him Edson, after American Thomas Edison, inventor of the light bulb. However, the registrar makes two mistakes on the baby’s birth certificate. First, his date of birth is recorded as the twenty-first of October, and second, he includes the “I” in Edison. Despite the errors, he will be called Edson and will celebrate his birthday on the twenty-third.

Dondinho, a respected footballer, joins Atlético Mineiro, where he sustains a serious knee injury in his first and only professional appearance, in a match against São Cristovão of Rio de Janeiro. He is subsequently released by the club.

Edson’s family moves to Lorena in São Paulo state after Dondinho signs for the city’s amateur team, Hepacare.

Edson acquires the nickname “Pelé”. Various theories on how the name came about have circulated. One explanation is that the Brazilian was named after Vasco da Gama goalkeeper Bilé, following Edson’s early efforts in goal. In a later account, Pelé suggested that his schoolmates made the name up in class.

Pelé and family relocate to the town of Bauru.

Too poor to afford a ball, Pelé and friends begin playing football with a large sock stuffed with rags and newspapers.

At the age of six, Pelé kicks a real leather football for the first time.

Pelé starts work shining shoes at the local railway station. Simultaneously his aunt Maria gives him his first pair of shoes, which he is only allowed to wear to church on Sundays. However, he attempts to play football in them and ruins them.

Pelé enrols at Ernesto Monte Primary School in Bauru.

Pelé joins local team Cruzeirinho. He is the youngest player in the side.

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:32 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:21:52 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——1950‘s

Pelé and friends form their own football team called Sete de Setembro, but they have no kit. They manage to raise enough for T-shirts and shorts, but no boots. They join the ranks of the other poverty-stricken barefoot teams in the area.

Pelé and Dondinho shed tears after Brazil lose the 1950 World Cup to Uruguay in front of 175,000 at the Maracanã stadium in Rio. The event is considered a national tragedy in Brazil. Pelé promises that he’ll win the trophy for his father one day.

Pelé undergoes a week’s trial at Santos. He impresses and is offered a professional contract.

Pelé makes his senior competitive debut against Corinthians. He scores his first goal in a 7-1 Santos victory.

Pelé scores on his international debut against Argentina in the seventy-seventh minute of the Copa Rocca, after being brought on as substitute for striker Mazzola. Brazil lose 2-1.

Pelé is named in Brazil’s final World Cup squad for Sweden. An administrative error leads to the Brazilian players being allocated unfamiliar numbers for the Sweden tournament. Pelé is given number 10.

After sitting out Brazil’s opening two matches, Pelé plays his first World Cup match against USSR at the age of 17. Brazil win 2-0.

Pelé scores a hat-trick as Brazil beat France 5-2 to secure their place in the World Cup final.

Brazil beat Sweden in the World Cup final. Pelé becomes the youngest-ever player to win the trophy, scoring twice in a 5-2 win that brings his tally in the tournament to six. Pelé faints at the final whistle and has to be revived by team-mates, then sobs as Brazil receive the trophy.

Pelé begins his military service. Alongside his obligations to Santos and the national side he is also required to play for the Brazilian Army team and the barracks Army team.

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:33 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:22:26 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——1960‘s

Italian clubs attempt to lure Pelé away from Santos. To counter, he is declared a national treasure by the president of Brazil, Janio Quadras, and therefore a non-exportable commodity.

Pelé scores his famous “gol de placa” against Fluminense. São Paulo newspaper, O Espore, erect a commemorative plaque at the Maracanã stadium, which reads, ‘On this field on 5-3-1961 Pelé scored the most beautiful goal in the history of the Maracanã.’

Pelé makes an early exit from the 1962 World Cup finals in Chile after sustaining a groin injury during Brazil’s 0-0 draw against Czechoslovakia in the group stages.

Pelé watches the Final from the stands as Brazil win the trophy for the second time in succession, beating Czechoslovakia 3-1.

Pelé becomes the first black person to appear on the cover of Life magazine, featuring in the Spanish edition.

Physical trainer professor Julio Mazzei joins Santos from the Plameiras Club of São Paulo. He begins his legendary partnership with Pelé which will see him become not only his trainer, but his translator, friend and confidant. Mazzei devises a grueling fitness regime for the Santos players designed to get them through their punishing schedule of 85 games a season.

Pelé and Rosemeri Cholbi marry at a brief civil ceremony at Pelé’s Santos home on Carnival Monday. This is followed by a Roman Catholic church service.

Pelé and Brazil are knocked out of the 1966 World Cup in England by Portugal. During the match, Pelé is injured by a series of rough challenges by opposing defenders. Disgusted by the lack of protection he received from referees, Pelé vows never to play in a World Cup again.

Pelé and Rosemeri’s first child, Kelly Cristina, is born.

Pelé scores his thousandth career goal in front of a delirious crowd at the Maracanã. It is from a penalty against Vasco da Gama in the seventy-eighth minute. Santos win the match 2-1. Afterwards Pelé sobs as he dedicates the landmark strike to his country’s young underclass. ‘Remember the children,’ he says. ‘Never forget Brazil’s poor children.’

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:27 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:23:00 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——1970‘s

Brazil beat Italy 4-1 in the 1970 World Cup final in Mexico, in what is considered by many to be the greatest football match of all time. As three-time winners, Brazil keep the Jules Rimet trophy. Pelé becomes the first player to ever win the trophy on three occasions.

Edson Cholbi do Nascimento, Pelé and Rosemeri’s second child, is born.

Two hundred thousand pack the Maracanã to witness Pelé’s final game for Brazil. The match finishes 2-2. After the final whistle Pelé does a lap of honour, during which the fans chant, ‘Stay! Stay!’ Amongst the parting gifts he receives is a gold miniature of the Jules Rimet trophy, plus a portrait of his father Dondinho scoring for Athletico of Bauru.

Pele plays his final game for Santos against Ponte Preta at Santos’ Vila Belmiro stadium. In the twenty-second minute of the first half, he stops the game by catching the ball, then proceeds to do a final lap of honour before departing the pitch.

After a four-year chase, New York Cosmos General Manager Clive Toye finally convinces Pelé to come out of retirement to sign a three-year contact with the Cosmos, worth $2.8 million.

Pelé is appointed Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF

Pelé and Rosemeri’s third child, Jennifer, is born in New York

75,000 fans, including Muhammad Ali and England’s Bobby Moore, attend Pelé’s farewell match as Cosmos take on Santos. After scoring for Cosmos in the first half, Pelé switches to his former team’s side, but Cosmos win the match 2-1. The event is covered by 650 journalists and is broadcast to 38 countries. In a final tribute to Pelé, the Cosmos retire his number 10 jersey, reducing Pelé to tears. His professional career is at an end.

Pelé’s relationship with Rosemeri breaks down after his heavy work commitments become too much. They file for divorce.

Pelé meets Andy Warhol in New York to discuss the creation of a series of four paintings featuring his likeness, as part of the artist’s ‘Athletes Series’, which also includes Muhammad Ali, golfer Jack Nicklaus and basketball star Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:27 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:23:46 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——1980‘s

Twenty years early, Pelé is named Sportsman of the Century by 20 sports newspapers around the world.

Pelé plays in a farewell match for former Cosmos team-mate Franz Beckenbauer. Cosmos beat the NASL All Stars 3-2.

Pelé attends the red-carpet premiere of his film Escape to Victory with new girlfriend Xuxa.

650 British journalists vote Pelé Best Sportsman of the Century at a ceremony in London.

Pelé is named Athlete of the Century by French publication L’Équipe – 19 years before the end of the century.

Pelé meets President Ronald Reagan at the White House to promote soccer in the United States. ‘Nice to meet you. I am Ronald Reagan, president of the United States,’ he says. ‘You don’t have to introduce yourself, because everybody knows who you are.’

Pelé and other former Cosmos stars participate in an exhibition match against the current Cosmos team. Pelé plays in defence as his team lose 6-2.

Pelé has an audience with Pope John Paul II at the Vatican in Rome, Italy.

Pelé is guest of honour at a Football League vs. Rest of the World match at Wembley Stadium, London, as part of an all-star match to mark the hundredth anniversary of the English league.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu meets Pelé on a visit to Brazil. Pelé gives him a message to relay to President Botha, urging him to release Nelson Mandela from prison.

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:26 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:24:52 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——1990‘s

Pelé signs endorsement deals with MasterCard and Umbro. He collaborates on the sportswear brand’s new football boot range.

Pelé and Celso Grellet, the former managing director of São Paulo, set up Pelé Sports & Marketing.

After rigorous preparation, Pelé returns to the field to play a one-off match with the Brazilian National Team as part of his fiftieth birthday celebrations. He is left disappointed after Ricardo Teixeira, president of the Brazilian CBF, refuses to allow any Brazilian internationals based abroad to participate in the match.

Pelé cries as he marries Assíria Seixas Lemos in the Anglican Episcopal Church in Recife, Brazil. Hundreds of well-wishers line the streets around the church, which was guarded by 170 policemen.

Pelé is appointed extraordinary minister for sport by Brazilian president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, becoming Brazil’s first-ever black cabinet minister. Making the announcement, Cardoso described Pelé as ‘a symbol of Brazil that has come up from the roots… that has triumphed.’

Pelé meets Nelson Mandela during a trip to Pretoria, South Africa.

Pelé’s wife, Assíria, gives birth to twins, Joshua and Celeste.

Pelé’s father, Dondinho, dies of heart failure.

Pelé is awarded an honorary knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.

Pelé is voted Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

[ 本帖最后由 douzi 于 2007-2-11 19:25 编辑 ]

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:25:35 | 显示全部楼层
KING  IN  LIFE——2000‘s

Pelé is honoured during a short ceremony before Pelé Eterno, a documentary about his life and playing years, premiers at the Municipal Theatre in Rio de Janeiro.

FIFA’s centenary celebrations take place at London’s Natural History Museum. To mark the event, Pelé is selected to compile a list of the 100 greatest living footballers to appear in an exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts, London. Unable to limit himself to 100 names, he instead chooses 125, labelling the task impossible as he could have chosen 100 players from his home country alone.

Pelé becomes the first sporting figure from South America to carry the Olympic torch. After receiving the flame from the mayor at the Maracanã Stadium, the footballing legend carries it through the streets of Rio de Janeiro.

Pelé publicly breaks down in tears as he speaks about his son’s arrest for alleged drug trafficking. Despite being devastated by the news, Pelé states that if found guilty Edinho ‘must suffer the consequences’.

Pelé wins a lifetime achievement award at the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year awards.

该用户从未签到

元老

帖子

主题

753 小时

在线时间
积分
身价
0 万
 楼主| douzi 发表于 2007-2-11 19:33:58 | 显示全部楼层

登录/注册后可看大图

该用户从未签到